5/13/2004
 
I’m not sure how anyone in London moves smoothly from one job to the next. Yesterday I found a couple of vacancies that looked interesting and so sent off my CV* only to receive a phone call from the agency** a full 10 seconds after I pushed the send button. After an uncomfortable few moments where I had to quickly exit the office so no-one heard my conversation while explaining to the agent in a breathy whisper that I was “just nipping outside” he tells me that I’m perfect for the job.***
“What rate are you looking for?” The Agent asks excitedly.****
“A squillion pounds a minute!” replies my brain.*****
“I will have to look at the job description before I give you answer on that” I explain.******
Next we talk about the Interview times and the when they want the successful applicant to begin. This raises two points. Firstly, what disease I must create to get the morning / afternoon off (or whether this time I should invent some appointment I can’t miss)******* and secondly, how I’d get out of my one month notice period if I do get the job.********

Looking for work is a full time job in itself. Which I wouldn’t mind except the pays terrible, the guilt’s even worse and it forces you to behave like a double agent for a dodgy branch of the old KGB.********* Maybe I should just become a two time Whitbread Award winning novelist and spare myself all the hassle.

---------------------

*Which, might I add, is sharper than a Ginsu knife.
**This is the first hurdle. Agents work on behalf of the employers and because they are impartial middle men, tend to be hyperactive and misleadingly optimistic about your suitability for the job.
***See what I mean.
****Obviously having finished his eighth coffee of the day.
*****Having just finished its ninth.
******Nice save.
*******Dentist, GP, Andrologist.
********Almost every job wants you to start “immediately” but every employment contract expects you to give 4 weeks notice. It just doesn’t make sense. Why? Why?
*********The branch with moustaches.


 

Yeah, yeah, email me

ARCHIVES
09/2003 / 10/2003 / 11/2003 / 12/2003 / 01/2004 / 02/2004 / 03/2004 / 04/2004 / 05/2004 / 06/2004 / 07/2004 / 08/2004 / 09/2004 / 10/2004 / 11/2004 / 12/2004 / 01/2005 / 02/2005 / 03/2005 / 04/2005 / 05/2005 / 06/2005 / 07/2005 / 08/2005 / 09/2005 / 10/2005 / 11/2005 / 12/2005 / 01/2006 /


sites what I write on:
londonist

sites what I wrote on:
über: I haven't been completely honest
somewhat.org: on the up

blogs:

christopher
elizabeth

boys:

tlc
homorobotic
sex, lies & videotape
diamond geezer
vivid blurry
raw youth
secret simon
learn swedish
the rob log
why god why
a beautiful revolution

girls:

dooce
afrochic
belle de jour
pound
jems web
lindsayism

pulse:

timmy ray
link bunnies
link machine go

fantastic blogs:

a light fantastic
a chair fantastic
a rug fantastic
a kitchen fantastic
a bed fantastic
a clock fantastic

tools:

life hacker
i hate work
hi-gloss film production



Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise

Listed on BlogShares
Subscribe to my feed

« #Veggie Blogs?»

«#Blogging Brits?»