4/17/2005
 
Letters to the Editor

Dear New Zealand,
Thanks for having me. You were sunny and easy going, and seemed genuinely pleased to see me. For the first time I think I really appreciated you as well.
You made it legal for gays to marry and banned fags being smoked in bars. Your hip hop rocks. One day, when climate change has made the rest of the world uninhabitable, I will sail my friends here in a boat and show you to them. We’ll drink pinot noir on a hill somewhere because by then the polar ice caps would have melted.
All my love,
Drew
p.s. thanks to NZ bloggers for making me feel at home too - Jemsweb, MirimarMike & Tony.


Dear hot boys,
You were few and far between, but it was worth the wait – if you’re into that whole surfer grungy tanned beach boy look.
Which I am.
I’d have to give you a good wash with a damp flannel first though.
ttfn, Drew


Dear Harri,
You said “Drew” today for the first time. Twice. It’s like you've been waiting for the right moment.
I don’t know if it’s harder or easier that you’re not old enough for me to explain why I’m going. Harder maybe. Whatever it is they put in babies to make sure you don’t tread on them is such a part of me now. The world is baby proofed in my head. It kills me I’m not going to be here to make sure you keep away from the sharp corners.
You crawled. You walked. You vomited a lot. I can change a nappy without blinking. You love books now. And when I say “bubye” in a stupid voice.
You dance whenever there’s music. Even in a crowded cafe. You don’t care if anyone’s watching. In fact, I think you enjoy an audience.
You’re a rough old kid too. You bite and scratch and grab my foot when I’m sleeping. But you always do it with a wry smile which is probably why I haven’t trodden on you yet.
I think that’s what surprised me most. How much of myself I see in you.
All my love kiddo,
Uncle Drew


Dear book,
Can I call you that yet? Unfinished manuscript doesn’t have the same ring to it.
You turned out better than I ever expected. You’re not sophisticated and urbane. They’ll never describe you as “Sex and the City meets Prozac Nation” or whatever, but you’re about families and growing up and the unlikely alliances we make in life, and for some reason, animals. A whole freakin’ zoo.
Can’t wait to see more of you.
X D


To my Ma, Holly and Ellie,
We didn’t murder each other.
Love, Drew
p.s. your kindness, strength and love over this 6 months has been such an incredible gift. Thank you.
 

Yeah, yeah, email me

ARCHIVES
09/2003 / 10/2003 / 11/2003 / 12/2003 / 01/2004 / 02/2004 / 03/2004 / 04/2004 / 05/2004 / 06/2004 / 07/2004 / 08/2004 / 09/2004 / 10/2004 / 11/2004 / 12/2004 / 01/2005 / 02/2005 / 03/2005 / 04/2005 / 05/2005 / 06/2005 / 07/2005 / 08/2005 / 09/2005 / 10/2005 / 11/2005 / 12/2005 / 01/2006 /


sites what I write on:
londonist

sites what I wrote on:
über: I haven't been completely honest
somewhat.org: on the up

blogs:

christopher
elizabeth

boys:

tlc
homorobotic
sex, lies & videotape
diamond geezer
vivid blurry
raw youth
secret simon
learn swedish
the rob log
why god why
a beautiful revolution

girls:

dooce
afrochic
belle de jour
pound
jems web
lindsayism

pulse:

timmy ray
link bunnies
link machine go

fantastic blogs:

a light fantastic
a chair fantastic
a rug fantastic
a kitchen fantastic
a bed fantastic
a clock fantastic

tools:

life hacker
i hate work
hi-gloss film production



Powered by Blogger
Listed on Blogwise

Listed on BlogShares
Subscribe to my feed

« #Veggie Blogs?»

«#Blogging Brits?»